We are hiring for a Mechanical Engineer for the R&D department at our Concord Office.
Position: Full-time Location: US-California-Concord Date posted: 26 May 2022 Job ID: 00WCH
Sea Tel Inc., part of Cobham plc is the world leader in stabilized marine antenna systems. We produce the most advanced technology in VSAT satellite communications and TV for commercial vessels, oil platforms, and yachts of all sizes. We have an immediate need for a Mechanical Engineer located at our R & D and Manufacturing facility in Concord CA.
As a Mechanical Engineer at Sea Tel you will design and analyze mechanical systems, equipment and packaging for our Sea Tel products. You will conduct feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs. You will be responsible for directing support personnel in the preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
Denotes "essential functions" in accordance with the guidelines of The Americans with Disabilities Act. The essential functions of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to, those specifically identified in this description. The position and its essential functions may change over time and these changes may not necessarily be reflected in the position description. The Company may, at its sole discretion, add to, change, or expand the essential or marginal functions of the position. \
- Generate system level design concepts to meet or exceed customer requirements
- Generate complex electromechanical assemblies and parts as needed in relatively high speed project development environment using Solidworks, PDM Standard and Simulation Professional
- Knowledge of GD&T and tolerance analysis is must
- Use engineering tools such as FMEA, FEA, hand calculations and simulations to design quality and reliability into the products
- Conduct discreet validation tests
- Author and supervise the creation of document packages and other engineering deliverables
- Interface with other engineers and management for requirements definition if needed
- Must adhere to and support the company’s Safety Health & Environmental (SHE) program
- All other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability generally required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in ME required and 3-5 years professional experience in design field.
- Self-starter, requires minimum supervision and ability to think system level design.
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to maintain time, scope and cost KPIs for given projects.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers or regulatory agencies.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must demonstrate the ability to make sound independent judgment decisions.
- Must have knowledge of basic Electro/Mechanical systems and Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Knowledge of marine environment and satellite communication systems, a plus.
- Microsoft Excel, Word, & Outlook – intermediate level required.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with Solidworks and PDM.
- Working knowledge of FEA and CFD simulation for composite structures is required.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES None required
EQUIPMENT AND DEVICE OPERATION Composite materials experience and basic RF and machine shop experience, a plus.
OTHER ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for and own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; recognize, initiate projects, asks for and offers help when needed
- Ability to multi task and provide accurate information in a fast paced setting
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is in an office setting. However, some time will be spent in an open factory environment. On the factory floor the temperature fluctuates relative to the outdoor weather do to large roll up doors in constant use. There is some excessive noise on the production floor. The immediate work area has no caustic chemicals or fumes. No travel is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing their duties, 25% of the job is performed while standing and 75% while sitting. May be required to stoop, kneel, crouch and reach above shoulder height. Unassisted lifting may be required up to 35 pounds.
Sea Tel, Inc. is an EEO employer; we value diversity in our employees and customers.
Cobham SATCOM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham SATCOM to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.