Manager Mechanical Design
Sea Tel Inc., part of Cobham Satcom is the world leader in stabilized marine antenna systems. We produce the most advanced technology in VSAT satellite communications and TV for commercial vessels, oil platforms, and yachts of all sizes. We have an immediate need for a Manager of Mechanical Design located at our R & D and Manufacturing facility in Concord CA. This position requires physical presence on site. Limited remote work can be discussed once performance is to the liking of the hiring Director.
BASIC FUNCTION: As a Manager of Mechanical Design at Cobham Satcom (Concord office, CA) you will provide strategic design and R&D related directions to the staff of about 10-15 mechanical engineers while coordinating your group efforts with other R&D groups like embedded SW, electronics, RF, antenna, PM etc. for successful outcome of the R&D’s yearly objectives. Typically, you will work on 2-3 NPI and 7-10 SKU creation projects while supporting R&D with sustaining efforts.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Denotes "essential functions" in accordance with the guidelines of The Americans with Disabilities Act. The essential functions of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to, those specifically identified in this description. The position and its essential functions may change over time and these changes may not necessarily be reflected in the position description. The Company may, at its sole discretion, add to, change, or expand the essential or marginal functions of the position.
• Create winning mechanical design team culture while working effectively with other R&D groups to execute electro-mechanical complex products. This position requires system level thinking to effectively plan various projects and successful execution of them. • Expect to provide daily technical guidance, yearly performance reviews, training, mentoring and development plans etc. for the assigned team members. • Responsible for co-ordination of internal and external project related matters. • Contribute to improve the mechanical team’s design development processes while keeping them compliant to ISO certification. • Stay abreast of new technologies, design tools and new manufacturing technologies and evaluate them frequently for business fit. • Lead PLC (product life cycle) phases during product design cycle and maintain complete ownership of the assigned projects. Conduct weekly (or as needed) project reviews within the team, document progress/decision and report to the R&D lead. • Responsible for delivering all assigned projects on time, at planned cost and expected quality. • Responsible for making complex decisions and expected to be highly analytical/data driven. • Responsible for making daily project and program related decisions for the mechanical design group including group’s capacity and competency planning. • Responsible to create new design concepts with hand drawing, white boarding, CAD SW etc. for new project planning and concept discussions. Also, responsible for communicating clear goals and execution strategy to the team members and provide appropriate mentorship for successful outcome. • Manages team’s time off related logistics/mitigation to ensure that it will not impact running projects. • Groom team members for future projects, personal growth that leads to long term retention.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability generally required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: • BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering. • Must be an US Citizen due to some projects’ contract requirements from the US Government. • At least 10 years of experience in electro-mechanical product design including leading team of mechanical engineers through various phases of the PLM cycle. • Organized and detail-oriented, team player and hands on with 3D CAD system (SW and PDM works preferred). • In depth knowledge of ASME Y14.5M GD&T standards, tolerance stack up analysis, FEA and CFD type analysis. Knowledge of various manufacturing processes like: Sheet-metal, structural welding, machining, 3D printing, spinning, carbon/glass composite structures etc. • Able to create mechanical concepts using CAD system and good at white boarding to articulate thoughts about design strategy with minimal information. • Must be comfortable in front of customers, internal other R&D teams and in design reviews to defend designs and seek information that will help the team in project execution. • Comfortable in doing various equations manually or by using Mathcad, excel etc to estimate. • Team player, positive attitude, able to make decision in complex grey area situation. • Able to make strategic project execution decisions when against cost, quality, time trade-offs. • Experience with vertically integrated company is a plus where sales, supply chain, production, service, purchasing, planning etc. groups are under the same roof. • KPI driven attitude while keeping people skills at forefront for long term team engagement and retention. Knows how to celebrate success and be tough when accountability from the team is not sensed. • Provide mechanical design mentorship to other R&D groups which help them making decisions.
• LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers or regulatory agencies.
• MATH ABILITY: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Must demonstrate the ability to make sound independent judgment decisions.
• TECHNICAL SKILLS: Must have knowledge of basic Electro/Mechanical systems and common symbols used on block diagrams. Knowledge of marine environment and satellite communication systems is plus.
• COMPUTER SKILLS: Microsoft Excel, Word, & Outlook – intermediate level required. Expert level knowledge of Solidworks, PDMWork is required. Knowledge of FEA and CFD analysis is plus.
• CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: None required
• EQUIPMENT AND DEVICE OPERATION: Basic machine shop experience, a plus.
OTHER ESSENTIAL SKILLS: • Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for and own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan. • Initiative - Volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; recognize, initiate projects, asks for and offers help when needed. • Ability to multitask and provide accurate information in a fast-paced setting. • Able to make ethics-based decisions even under pressure which are based on the facts and data.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is in an office setting. However, some time will be spent in an open factory environment. On the factory floor the temperature fluctuates relative to the outdoor weather due to large roll up doors in constant use. There is some excessive noise on the production floor. The immediate work area has no caustic chemicals or fumes. Travel required is generally less than 10% to see customers, vendors and/or tradeshows.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing their duties, 25% of the job is performed while standing and 75% while sitting. May be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and reach above shoulder height. Unassisted lifting may be required up to 35 pounds.
Sea Tel, Inc. is an EEO employer; we value diversity in our employees and customers.
Cobham SATCOM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham SATCOM to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.